Why call a professional Pest Controller
House Fly Fact Sheet
House Fly – Fact Sheet
A hoarse fly!
- The house Fly is believed to originate from Asia.
- House Flies live almost everywhere humans do and are synanthropic organisms, which means they benefit ecologically from their association with humans and our domestic animals.
- House Flies now inhabit nearly every corner of the globe, with the exception of Antarctica and possibly a few islands.
- Should humankind cease to exist, House Flies might share the same fate.
- In the insect world, House Flies are a relatively young species.
- House Flies multiply quickly, as they only have an average life span of 6 days. The female fly can lay 5-7 times with an average of 75-120 eggs at a time. If a pair of House Flies without limits or mortality to their offspring in just 5 months would produce
191,010,000,000,000,000,000. That is enough to cover the planet several metres deep.
- House Flies do not travel far. Domestic flies travel only about 1,000 metres, however rural flies will cover more than 11 kilometres in search of manure.
- House Flies feed and breed in the things that repulse us: garbage, animal dung, sewerage, just to name a few.
- House Flies are on an all-liquid diet, they have sponge-like mouthparts for soaking up liquefied substances, but not for eating solid food. When the house fly finds something tasty but solid, it regurgitates onto the food. The fly vomit contains enzymes that help liquefy the food so it can lap it up.
- House Flies taste with their feet. The moment they land on something of interest, garbage, and faeces then maybe your lunch etc. they start sampling its flavour by walking around.
- House Flies are known to transmit at least 65 diseases and infections, including cholera, dysentery, giardiasis, typhoid, salmonella and many more.
House Flies poo a lot – As house flies are on an all-liquid diet, things move quickly through their digestive track very quickly. Nearly every time a housefly lands, it poops!
So they vomit and poop while tasting your foot with their feet.